Sunday, March 05, 2006

A Review Of The Year So Far

The year so far? Well what can I say? It's gone an awful lot better than I had ever dreamt it would, and yet I feel it could have been even better still!

Firstly, I have altered my dietary habbits, and social habbits. Although my weight seems stuck at 13st 12lbs, I do feel so much better and fitter. I am sure that this has a lot to do with the fact that I have not had any alcohol at all since 14th January, over 50 days now!!! I do intend to work on my diet, in terms of food, as I feel I am not doing as well here as I could be.

Now, the running itself. Training has gone pretty well, I have missed a few training runs here and there due to feeling extremely tired, or exhausted, or suffering from the flu. But all in all, I believe my training over the last 2 months has been more consistent than at any other time.

The races have gone amazingly well. I have set 3 pb's already this year! I ran a 10k at Ashford and knocked 1 minute 13 seconds off of my previous 10k pb. Then a week later I knocked 5 minutes 27 seconds off of my 10 mile pb when I ran in the Sidcup 10m.

I then ran the Great East 20k Run at Bungay, and should probably have run this a bit slower, as a training run. The time of 88 minutes 33 seconds was pleasing though!

Two consecutive races over the distance of 20 miles then followed. Firstly the Bury 20m, which I completed in 3 hours 00 minutes and 33 seconds. I was really pleased with this time on a hilly and windy course, and felt this race could not have gone any better. The second race, at Wymondham was a different story.

I set a new 20 mile pb at Wymondham, knocking 12 minutes 24 seconds off of my time, finishing in 2 hours 48 minutes and 09 seconds. This run could have gone so much better though. I did not load up calorie wise in the days before this race, and I should not have done this race so soon after Bury. At the 17.5 mile mark my body just drained of energy and I felt really ill, and then found it a struggle to finish the race. For three days after this race I have felt ill, so I think a lesson will be learnt from this experience.

I will race in the Brentwood Half Marathon this weekend, but will then have nearly a fortnight off before racing again as Brentwood will be my 6th race in 6 weeks and this is proving too much too soon. But I will still be aiming to finish this half marathon within my target time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home